Thursday, August 19, 2010

It's about time

Im back. I'll have to describe my adventures in Japan at some other time. Right now, I'm back to business with MMOs and games in general. I have a lot of ideas that need to be put down on paper (or that weird ethereal material that makes up blog structure).

Some things I care a lot about right now.

1. Reinventing the RTS. It hasn't changed much at all in the last 10 years.
2. Reinventing the MMO. It SERIOUSLY hasn't changed at all since 2004. About time for an extreme makeover.
3. Random other devious projects.

So it would seem that my 2 years off the grid has caused me to miss... a whole lot of nothing. Really. Nothing epic or industry-changing seems to have happened in the last 2 years. Age of Conan doesn't seem to have lived up to the hype it had, and WAR also seems to have lacked a lot of what people were exited for. Good ideas, poorly implemented.

Thinking of ideas is only half of the battle. In fact, probably only 1/25 of the battle. The hard part is implementation.

That's why I don't claim to have all the answers. I think that I could change a lot of things, if only I knew how to implement my ideas. That's why right now, my focus is on the technical side. The mechanics of dynamic content. And it's coming slow. So from here on, I'm going to rant and put my thoughts out there, to see if I can come up with some solutions, not just complaints.

But hey, sometimes a guy just feels like griping about the state of things. I'll do my best :)

No comments: